Join our team at the California State University, Office of the Chancellor, and make a difference in providing access to higher education. We are currently seeking experienced candidates for the position of Web Editor & Writer. The CSU Chancellor’s Office, located on the waterfront adjacent to the Aquarium of the Pacific in downtown Long Beach, is the headquarters for the nation’s largest and most diverse system of higher education. The CSU Chancellor’s Office offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, and dental plans; a fee waiver education program; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (PERS); and 14 paid holidays a year.
The salary range for this classification is $4,104 to $6,999 per month.
The California State University, Office of the Chancellor, is seeking a Web Editor & Writer to be responsible for writing, editing and publishing for CSYou (the CSU’s intranet for faculty and staff), Calstate.edu, the Chancellor’s Office’s public-facing site, and a variety of internal digital communications across platforms, as well as some print products/projects.S/he will conduct research for content ideas that align with core strategic messages of the CSU Chancellor’s Office; support the Assistant Managing Editor in maintenance and optimization of the editorial calendar and project management; select photos to accompany content; assist in the planning and execution of video and photo shoots in support of original content creation; and provide administrative support to the Assistant Managing Editor and Manager, Web Content Strategy as needed.
APPLICANTS CALLED IN TO INTERVIEW WILL BE GIVEN A SKILLS TEST.
Under the general direction of the Manager, Web Content Strategy, the Web Editor & Writer will:
- Research, pitch, report, write, edit, publish, and optimize original text and visual content to support and reflect needs and objectives of the business unit and targeted audiences, reflecting brand, voice and tone, and strategic objectives
- Research and actively cultivate sources at the Chancellor’s Office and the campuses (e.g., PIOs, faculty) as well as a wide variety of external sources to share compelling, actionable ideas for strategically aligned content
- Conduct interviews with employees, executives, campus faculty and staff and others within and outside the CSU system
- Prepare and publish content (including images and video embeds) for Calstate.edu and CSYou using SharePoint 2013
- Support the Assistant Managing Editor in maintaining editorial calendars and content plans for Calstate.edu and CSYou
- Provide support for administrative and editorial support to Manager, Web Content Strategy and Assistant Managing Editor at all phases of creation of digital and print content (e.g., proofreading, line editing, uploading content, writing landing page copy, etc.) as well as the maintenance and optimization of editorial calendars. Support to include proofreading, line editing, uploading content, writing landing page copy, etc.
- Collaborate as needed with the Assistant Vice Chancellor, Communications, Senior Web Manager, Manager, Web Content Strategy, Senior Communications Manager, Art Director and other colleagues to understand the intent of communications pieces, including target audience, expected measurable results, production schedule and coordination of information
- Assist with other projects as assigned
This position requires:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, Creative Writing, Communications, Marketing or related area or equivalent combination of education and related experience
- 5 years’ experience writing and editing for multiple digital formats, including web, mobile, social media, multimedia and other emerging communication platforms
- 3 years’ experience proofreading digital content
- 2 years’ experience working with an editorial calendar
- 2 years’ experience with photo editing and website content management tools
- 2 years’ experience managing content and analytics for at least one major social media platform
- 1 year experience working with site and/or social media analytics (e.g., Google Analytics, Sitelmprove, Facebook Page Insights)
- Ability to effectively and quickly research and develop strategically aligned ideas for original content on a digital platform(s)
- Superior researching, reporting, writing, and editing skills at a major news/media outlet
- First-rate proofing and line-editing skills, including an excellent knowledge of grammar, usage, spelling, style guides, and AP style required. This role requires extraordinary attention to detail.
- Self-motivated personality with the ability to anticipate needs and a helpful attitude and a strong desire to learn.
- Strong time management and organizational skills, with proven ability to work on multiple projects with competing priorities with tight deadlines
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Previous experience in educational/academic setting or marketing agency preferred
- Knowledge and experience with SharePoint 2010 or 2013 preferred
PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR COVER LETTER IN THE SAME FILE AS YOUR RESUME AND INDICATE YOUR LENGTH AND TYPE OF EXPERIENCE FOR EACH OF THE REQUIRED SKILLS.
Resumes will be accepted until June 29, 2018 or until job posting is removed.
How To Apply
To apply for this position, click on the link at the top of the screen.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The university is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Senior Human Resources Manager.
This position requires new hire employment verification to be processed through the E-Verify program administered by the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (DHSUSCIS)’ in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA).
If hired, you will be required to furnish proof that you are legally authorized to work in the United States.
The Chancellor’s Office policy requires that the selected candidate successfully complete a full background check (including a criminal records check) prior to assuming this position.