A Revenue Auditor Trainee is a full time position with benefits. The salary range is $40,452 to $57,912 for the first year. This position has the following education requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business administration, or finance
- Minimum of 21 semester hours of progressive coursework in accounting,
- Additional coursework in management, business administration, computer science, economics or statistics.
- Requires elementary knowledge of professional accounting methods and techniques of tax accounting and auditing; elementary knowledge and understanding of the various types of records maintained by businesses, partnerships and individuals; knowledge of methods, procedures and techniques utilized in the examination and review of tax returns; knowledge of statistics, sampling methods, procedures, applications and analysis of statistical results; knowledge of files, procedural manuals and other related materials utilized in the research and analysis of tax returns and supporting documentation.
- Requires ability to read, interpret and analyze journals, ledgers, balance sheets, and other types of financial documentation; ability to detect computational, noncompliance, legal and/or technical errors in the process of reviewing tax returns and supporting documentation, and recommend determinations within established guidelines; ability to prepare and maintain statistical and informational records and reports according to guidelines and accepted practice.
- Requires ability and willingness to travel extensively and frequently, often keeping irregular hours.
- Requires possession of an appropriate valid driver’s license and access to an automobile.
- Requires ability to lift materials weighing up to 50 pounds
ABOUT THE POSITION AND TRAINEE PERIOD: Trainees will travel to a taxpayer’s place of business or their representative’s to perform field audit assignments of a routine nature or specific aspects of more difficult case assignments, such as manual and computerized audit of taxpayer’s books and records, investigation of delinquencies or non-compliance by taxpayers. You will be assigned a mentor during your trainee period to assist with your development. During the twelve month trainee period you will receive intensive scheduled classroom instruction that will begin in Springfield, IL and on-the-job training involving the various facets of the Department of Revenue’s Audit program and operations. Approximately 8 weeks will be spent in Des Plaines, Illinois where trainees will attend and participate in a formalized classroom training program on regularly scheduled basis to receive highly specialized and technical orientation, indoctrination and instruction in the knowledge and skill required in both manual and computerized revenue tax auditing.
TO APPLY for non-Illinois locations – Go to work.illinois.gov website. On the left hand side click on forms and download the CMS-100 application. Mail your completed application and a copy of your transcript(s) to: Illinois Department of Revenue – Human Resources, Angela Young, Willard Ice Building, 101 West Jefferson St., room 5-110 Springfield, IL 62702 Applications must be received by June 8, 2018
HELPFUL HINTS COMPLETING CMS 100 EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION:
- Line 1: Position title is Revenue Auditor Trainee
- Line 7: County Choice – For Non-Illinois positions please list 1 or 2 cities from the following list: Cleveland, OH, Columbus, Oh, Houston, TX, Minneapolis, MN, Paramus, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, PA, Los Angeles, Ca, San Francisco, CA, and Seattle, WA.
- At the bottom of page 1 please remember to sign the application
- Box 14: please include the Name andAddress of the University or Universities you attended.
- List the hours completed for each field of study
- Box 15: In addition to listing current or previous employers, please complete hours worked per week, salary, employment dates and in detail the duties and responsibilities you performed
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $40,452.00 to $57,912.00 /year
- Bachelor’s (Required)
License or certification:
- Driver’s License (Required)