We are seeking an energetic and talented electrical engineer to join our growing New Nuclear and Generation Services business. We provide specialist engineering, safety case and project management support to our customers within the Nuclear Sector where we have long-term relationships with major clients.
The role is based in our Gloucester office and there is an expectation that individuals will be flexible towards working from client offices or at our client sites in the UK and overseas.
The successful candidate will play an important role in this growing technical workstream over the coming years and the role will provide excellent opportunities for the development of skills, particularly where these are applied to nuclear engineering, under the mentorship of highly experienced engineers.
- Engage with clients to understand their needs and collaborate with them to develop satisfactory solutions,
- Design and specify electric power systems and equipment for operation at voltages up to at least 11 kV,
- Produce comprehensive technical specifications and other documents to support design proposals,
- Establish testing and commissioning strategies,
- Prepare safety cases (claims, arguments and evidence), to substantiate the design, commissioning and operation of electrical equipment,
- Verification/checking of work produced by peers,
- Undertake investigations/assessments of operational plant and capture findings/recommendations in high quality technical reports,
- Witness equipment acceptance tests in supplier works or on client sites and advise on outcomes.
Skills / Qualifications
- First degree in electrical engineering,
- Chartered Engineer status or technical knowledge and experience leading to registration,
- Experience in the design and specification of electrical systems and equipment, e.g. transformers, switchgear, cables, network protection, earthing, batteries and d.c. systems, Uninterruptible Power Supplies, motors/generators (experience of all is not essential),
- Understanding of the principles of electrical protection,
- Familiarity with the IEE Wiring Regulations,
- Strong written and verbal communication skills,
- Excellent record of customer satisfaction.
- Experience of working in multifunctional teams
- Self-motivated, with an ability and desire to work collaboratively with other organisations to create new opportunities,
- Ability to think innovatively and solve complex problems,
- Ability to communicate well, both verbally and in writing,
- Design substantiation and justification of engineered safety measures
- Communicate clearly and professionally both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues, and individuals outside of the Company
- Flexible location, willing to visit client sites.
- A general understanding of nuclear power generation would be highly beneficial,
- Knowledge of CDM Regulations, specifically the Designer role,
- Experience of safety case management work,
- Knowledge/experience of design and/or substantiation in hazardous/highly regulated environments,
- Knowledge/experience of operating in an environment with a graded approach to quality processes,
- Familiarity with our major customers and the processes and procedures they use to control work.