Bring your skills and talents to Labor and Industries, the employer of choice. Join our team and work in a positive, goal-orientated atmosphere. The L&I, Office of Internal Audit & Civil Rights unit is looking for you.
Under the direction of the Program Manager for Internal Audit, you will plan and conduct comprehensive Red Book -compliant (Internal Standards for the Professional Practice Framework) audit engagements in our auditing services program. You will assess and improve the design adequacy and operational effectiveness of risk management, internal control, and governance systems used by the Department of Labor & Industries to ensure operational performance and accountability. You will be instrumental in delivering support for the agencies five strategic goals by providing analysis and enterprise wide insight into operational efficiency and effectiveness.
Some of what you’ll do:
- Independently, or as the lead of a project team, plan and conduct highly focused audits of agency processes, systems and financials.
- Conduct Internal Audit services at the highest professional standards while maintaining transparency.
- Obtain a detailed understanding of operations, technologies, financial characteristics and compliance environment.
- Prepare effective audit plans and tests to address audit risks and objectives.
- Map data flows across business processes, systems, databases and infrastructure components.
- Develop and apply audit tests to obtain evidential matter in order to provide opinions for the design and operation of business process and general computer controls.
- Coordinate and manage meetings with the Office of Financial Management, encouraging interaction and discussion to ensure audit objectives and results are clearly stated and understood.
- Develop clear and concise audit work papers that provide sufficient detail so that other auditors can replicate the process and obtain the same results.
- Plan and execute audits in support of management and business objectives.
- Independently perform complex analysis.
- Perform engagement level risk assessments.
- Perform cost benefit analysis.
- Plan and conduct exit conferences and Corrective Action Plan reviews.
- Manage client relationships throughout the project lifecycle.
Who should apply:
Audit professionals with a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Public Administration, Business Administration, Information Technology or related field and at least 3 years of experience in the area of audit principles and practices within a large, complex and decentralized organizational structure.
Our ideal candidate will have the ability to:
- Analyze operational information with statistical and financial data, identify errors and control deficiencies.
- Understand and communicate the impact of control deficiencies on the business unit.
- Identify and recommend cost savings and improvement opportunities.
- Assist management with the development of corrective action plans and follow-up on completion of corrective action plans.
- Analyze business processes and information systems to identify driving forces, logic, structure, timings, and dependencies.
- Map data flows across business processes, application systems, databases, and infrastructure components.
- Develop and apply effective audit tests to determine the adequacy and effectiveness of business process and general computer controls using appropriate criteria.
- Facilitate sessions involving diverse groups, creating a cooperative and productive environment in which to resolve internal control problems or develop and implement plans to resolve them.
- Write clear and concise audit reports.
- Make decisions informed by strong technical analysis and tempered by astute political awareness, considering both tactical and strategic outcomes from an enterprise or department perspective.
- Be an energetic and articulate advocate of sound internal control systems as a means of improving performance and accountability of Labor and Industries’ operations.
- Be familiar with Computer Assisted Auditing Tools (CAATS), such as SQL, Visio, Net IQ Secure Configuration Manager, ACL Data Analytics software.
- Be proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Build positive client relationships characterized by a high level of acceptance, cooperation, and mutual regard.
- Respond to difficult, stressful or sensitive interpersonal situations in ways that reduce or minimize potential conflict and maintain good working relationships among internal and external customers.
- Effectively communicate complex technical information for the purpose of having others learn, understand, and operationally apply specific internal control principles, techniques, or information.
Consideration will be given to complete applications with attached resume, letter of interest and 3 professional references.
Your letter of interest will concisely describe your experience, qualifications and competencies outlined under the previous sections, “Who should apply” and “Skills and Abilities”.
This job announcement may be used to fill multiple vacancies. Application review starts immediately and the hiring authority reserves the right to offer the job at any time. It’s to your advantage to apply quickly.
Employees driving on state business must have a valid driver’s license. Employees driving a privately owned vehicle on state business must have liability insurance on the privately owned vehicle.
Prior to any new hire into L&I, a background check, including criminal record history, will be conducted.
To apply, follow the “Apply” link above
Jobs advertised as Open Continuous will be closed without notice. Apply quickly!
We’re looking for evidence that you have what we’re looking for. Your application materials will be used for deciding who’ll be selected for interview.
For more information about the Department of Labor & Industries visit: http://www.lni.wa.gov/
Contact us at: Jobs@Lni.wa.gov
L&I strives to attract and retain a high-performing and diverse workforce in which our differences are respected and valued to better meet the needs of the diverse customers we serve. L&I fosters an inclusive environment that promotes safety, collaboration, flexibility and fairness so that all employees can participate and contribute to their full potential.
Persons with a disability, who need assistance in the application process, or those needing this announcement in an alternative format, may call (360) 902-5700. Applicants that are deaf or hard of hearing may call through the Washington Relay Service at 7-1-1.
The State of Washington is an Equal Opportunity Employer
If you have specific questions regarding this position, please contact Trish Lamb at 360.902.5709 or email at LAMW235@lni.wa.gov . Please do not contact to inquire about the status of your application.
L&I Financial Examiner 3 Supplemental Questionnaire
Are you a current L&I employee?
Do you have a minimum of 3 years of experience in the area of audit principles and practices within a large, complex and decentralized organizational structure?
If yes, in the space below please describe your experience and where you obtained it.
Do you possess experience auditing large state agencies using Government Accounting Standards (yellow book) or Institute of Internal Audit’s International Professional Practices Framework (Red Book)? (Please ensure that your application material clearly supports your response.)
Which response best describes your level of education?
High school diploma, GED or equivalent
None of the above
Which of the following certifications do you hold?
None of the above
The application process requires that you include a resume. Have you attached your resume?
The application process requires that you include a Letter of Interest. Have you attached your Letter of Interest?
The application process requires that you include 3 professional references. Have you included 3 professional references.?
* Required Question