Microsoft AI and Research – FUSE Labs – Front-End Design Developer 326 views
The newly formed Microsoft AI and Research Group (AInR) brings together Microsoft’s world-class research organization alongside all Microsoft’s AI product efforts in order to provide greater opportunity to accelerate Microsoft’s innovation in AI, and to enable Microsoft to create truly intelligent systems and products for our customers.
FUSE Labs is an agile cross-disciplinary lab within Microsoft AIR. FUSE Labs’ work spans social, search+graph, and conversation-driven experiences. FUSE has most recently been at the forefront of Microsoft’s focus on Conversation as a Platform (CaaP), developing and delivering Microsoft Bot Framework which enables developers to build and connect intelligent bots to users wherever they are – from Skype to Office 365 mail to Facebook Messenger, Slack, Kik, Telegram and more…In addition, FUSE is currently partnering with ASG on an as yet to be released offering which will help people achieve more through a conversation-driven experience powered by AI and humans.
We are seeking a world-class front-end design developer to join our interdisciplinary team. As Design Developer / Prototyper, you are a results-oriented collaborator who is a nimble developer with keen design sensibilities. You have experience interpreting designs into fully functional interactive experiences, effectively partnering with design, development and research team members to shepherd end-to-end experiences from concepts to ship. You work in and with new technologies, and can quickly and smoothly learn to use new tools. You must “get” designers and have a clear understanding of the design process and demonstrate an ability to merge that knowledge with established development processes. You have deep knowledge of the natural user interface (NUI) paradigms and have demonstrable experience in crafting experiences with multiple input modalities.
- Presentation layer UI prototyping and development synthesizing visual, motion, input and interaction design across a diverse and rapidly evolving technology ecosystem
- Contribute technical expertise throughout all stages of product design and development, conceptual design, visual design language and motion personality, input language, UI platform and tools maturity, prototyping and production
- Ownership of quality standards, process, schedule, costing, resources, training, and deliverables
- Offer alternatives when technology constraints require design compromises
- Help develop and refine UI pattern libraries and interaction guidelines
- Utilization of responsive design and emerging coding and design practices
- Bring a multi-disciplinary point of view of product design to the conversation
- Bachelors or Masters in computer science with a strong emphasis on design, or in visual design, interaction design, web design
- 5+ years of work experience on device UI
- Excel in the implementation, production, and shipment of highly-polished user interfaces
- Experience building mobile apps in at least one of the major platforms (Windows, iOS or Android) in native code
- Exposure to REST/SOAP APIs and understanding of asynchronous programming
- Intermediate knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- Online portfolio (public github or similar is a plus)
- Ability to create and assess design solutions based on user goals and key scenarios
- Problem solving, creative, and communication skills
- Familiarity with current trends in conversational user interfaces, contemporary web and responsive design concepts, social media, bots and bot development tools
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively cross functionally with other teams (Engineering, Research, Program Management & Marketing)
- Strong collaboration influencing skills, proven ability to lead and inspire
- An ability to work through ambiguity and multiple priorities
- Have a passion for quality, innovation, and world-class design
- Experience with multiple devices and platforms (e.g. cross browser, tablet, smart phone)
- Experience building responsive designs
- Experience with cross platform mobile development such as Xamarin or Phonegap is a plus
- Experience with server side technologies such as Node.JS or .Net is a plus
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, protected genetic information, political affiliation, or any other characteristics protected by local laws, regulations, or ordinances.