Hardware Engineer 2 146 views
Education (EDU) is one of Microsoft’s top priorities. Encouraging and fostering the next generation of leaders starts with a solid educational system. We have an imperative to apply our time, talent, and treasure to making education available to all. In order for us to realize our grand ambition in the space, we are looking for a talented design engineer to work with a small and agile prototyping team.
A great candidate for this role will have passion for the EDU space and the creativity to invent new, disruptive technology and experiences while finding solutions to complex problems. You will bring your deep expertise in early stage design to contribute to the development of hardware, software and service prototypes for K-12 education. The challenge here is to work with basic raw materials and a minimal toolset to produce models that illustrate fundamental concepts of engineering, science, technology, and math/computational thinking.
- Engineering or Industrial Design degree or significant industry experience
- 3+ years of experience designing and building models, engineering prototypes, products, etc.
- Master maker skills that include general construction skills, wood working, soldering, electrical and circuit construction.
- Proficient in lightweight prototyping techniques (foam core, hot glue, cardboard, breadboarding, etc).
- Experience working with and coding Arduino or other common microcontrollers.
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Strategic thinking and problem solving skills
- Strong communication, negotiation and influence skills
- 3D printing, laser etching
- Machining skills using vertical mills, lathes and other machine tool equipment a plus.
- CNC machining a plus
- Software development skills